New home for the forums

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
Asmodian

Re: New home for the forums

Post by Asmodian »

wonka wrote:I am making some headway. Trying to make it Dwarven. Feedback appreciated.
Replace the dwarf model with some other cool myth art. The dwarf is pixilated and sort of hurts my eyes.

Maybe use this image and recolor it so it fits in with the rest of the color scheme of the site. I'll try messing around with that image and recoloring it when I get back from vacation if that would be of help at all.

wonka

Post by wonka »

I will work on an OpenID login and signup for myrgard. A cross-site-and-metaserver login would make things much easier.
toxyn

Post by toxyn »

wonka - All things considered, I think it's best to just support you with Myrgard to be the new home of the GOS forums. Seems like you mostly got it covered but I'll be on standby if I can be of any help. Just PM me or I can give you my email.

punkUser - I'm not going to open a new Myth site/forums any time soon (of my own or for anyone else). So, as far as a database dump of the forums goes - would it still be possible to get it? I'm only really interested in the GodHead articles (and need to be able to reference who wrote any new ones/replies since migrating from the old Gjol site). Thanks!
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

toxyn wrote:wonka - All things considered, I think it's best to just support you with Myrgard to be the new home of the GOS forums. Seems like you mostly got it covered but I'll be on standby if I can be of any help. Just PM me or I can give you my email.

punkUser - I'm not going to open a new Myth site/forums any time soon (of my own or for anyone else). So, as far as a database dump of the forums goes - would it still be possible to get it? I'm only really interested in the GodHead articles (and need to be able to reference who wrote any new ones/replies since migrating from the old Gjol site). Thanks!
Sure. I'll dump the relevant bits from the database for you guys (toxyn, wonka) and send it over to look at integrating. Note that you might want to just develop the relevant scripts so you can be ready when we decide to align the transfer with locking the forums here, else we might lose some history.

Not a big deal though - we can certainly just accept that a few things might not transfer over. I also imagine if you're not using phpbb over there the users are not going to transfer over (which is probably best if we move to Login via Steam or similar there as well). But how you guys handle that is up to you.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

Does authorizing through steam mean that myth can only be played when steam is running also?

I also want to thank toxyn and wonka for working on this (and also for PunkUser for keeping the server running!). I appreciate that you put your time and resources to keep myth rollin'!
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Gekko wrote:Does authorizing through steam mean that myth can only be played when steam is running also?
No it'll be unrelated. The client still isn't run through Steam and thus I still need the bridge where the web site will give you a "username/password" combo to enter into Myth to log in. Other than that it's the same as usual. If down the road someone does end up releasing the client on Steam that would make it even easier and you wouldn't need to enter anything, but for today none of that is changing.
par73

Post by par73 »

punkUser wrote:If down the road someone does end up releasing the client on Steam
this dream scenario is more myth than reality

i was wondering if what you were doing was going to be possible without releasing myth on steam, which is ill advised for certain.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Btw just want to update - I've still been working on this stuff and the new account stuff is nearly ready to go. I'm out for a week on vacation but after I get back I'll get in touch about doing a db dump to at least test the plausibility of moving the current content over to wonka's new site.

No huge rush on this stuff of course, but want to keep it all rolling along slowly.
wonka

Post by wonka »

I ended up landing on a plugin for phpbb that allows Steam ID logins. It is now running on myrgard.com.

The only catch to it is, it shows their Steam username on the forum. And I have a feeling people's steam usernames are different than their myth usernames. I know mine is... which could create confusion in discussions.

So, the missing link I suppose is that the Steam API authenticates the user, but the user still needs to create a username for myrgard. Is that right?

punkUser, how are you addressing that with the metaserver?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

wonka wrote:I ended up landing on a plugin for phpbb that allows Steam ID logins. It is now running on myrgard.com.
Ah cool, so does this entirely replace the registration step or is it just an alternative?
wonka wrote: punkUser, how are you addressing that with the metaserver?
It's basically going back to how Myth used to be, as requested by the community: you can set your nickname when you login. To see what user "account" someone is, you can click their profile in the Stats menu and that will bring you to their user page on GoS.net. From there, you'll have a link to their Steam profile if you want.

Is it a perfect solution? No. But it lets you see who a non-guest user is with a little bit of work. i.e. it's good enough for tournaments and the like where you know who should be in the game and can call out someone you don't recognize their metaserver or Steam page.

You could do something similar for myrgard if you'd like. I think the meta-question here though is even if we both switch to Steam logins (which is probably ideal), what should be done with the older posts when they are imported to the new site? Probably they should just exist there archived with the old user names, but new posts should be part of the new logins. Not sure if that's something you can easily do via the db dump from here - let me know your thoughts.