Myth skill improvement thread

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
Myrk

Re: Myth skill improvement thread

Post by Myrk »

dac wrote:Honkey's greatest* life achievements were reached 2 years ago - he can die now.

1) mwc ring.

2) superbowl ring.

Thats right, he was equally instrumental in both wins. In a glorious performance he shut down mike wallace single handedly and single handedly dismantled shaister in the finals with one hand tied behind his back.
Yes, we should all listen to Honkey since he's clearly such a highly respected and well-liked Myth personality
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

really honkey, flames aside, myrk started this thread with the noblest of intentions - to help players improve. this is one of those threads that shouldn't be derailed by flame wars, keep it on topic.
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

So since I've covered the fundamentals of myth skill here, I am wondering what people would like to see posted next. I'm sure most other topics of myth micro, teamwork skills or how to be good with specific unit compositions have been covered in a guide somewhere, so I'll basically just take requests.
Zak

Post by Zak »

I think the biggest skill-set that the majority of is still horrible at is rushing with warr-packs and using soulless in a way that is pro-active and efficient so they aren't just a complete waste of points.
drunken_deer

Post by drunken_deer »

Myrk wrote:So since I've covered the fundamentals of myth skill here, I am wondering what people would like to see posted next. I'm sure most other topics of myth micro, teamwork skills or how to be good with specific unit compositions have been covered in a guide somewhere, so I'll basically just take requests.
Journeyman Tactics 101
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

I'll tackle soulless then since it's quick and easy.

How to use soulless depends a lot on what other units are on the map and the terrain. Also the size of the force supporting the souls relative to the enemy's. It requires knowing how far you can push out while being able to retreat back to safety before you can get rushed.

Obviously the main role of souls on maps with trow is to be in a position to whittle enemy trow health down if they come near. They're also good against fetch, and they can make locks and mortars waste shots holding them off on level ground.

In general the soulless user should consider what will happen if he was to be aggressive and the enemy was to rush him. If the map has spiders on it, souls will require some support in other spiders or melee units. If not, they're the only unit that can go on cliffs and deep water and can use impassible terrain as something to retreat to. Depending on the map, some deep water may not be safe from trow (Example: the river on If I Had A Trow) so the soul user should know that beforehand. Stygs can hold off soulless indefinitely so they'll require support on maps like Drowned Kingdom.

The soul guy should never be fighting uphill against mortars, dorf heroes, locks, or comparable numbers of other soulless. In any case where he doesn't have to fight uphill against these units and he can retreat to safety before he can be rushed, the soul guy should be attacking. This involves knowing the effective range of the other artillery units on the map and always being out of that range. Even if the soul guy doesn't end up doing any damage he's at least making the enemy waste attention and micro time on him.

The only time when it's acceptable for soulless to sit around doing nothing is in a case like Drowned Empire captures after you've gathered a winning number of balls onto Mount Everest and have camped your souls on top of it.

Obviously soul vs soul fighting is comparable to archer fighting, with the only real difference being that souls can move over any terrain and that it's extra important to keep them spread out since multiple soulless can take damage from a single spear.

That's pretty much all there is to say about soulless.
SamTheButcher

Post by SamTheButcher »

Yea Myrk you hit about everything with Souls. I think a lot of people dont give them credit as an offensive unit and use them purely as defense thus they just sit around and waste points. With the proper support and knowing effective ranges of enemy artillery like you stated they can be effective offensively and at the very least keep enemy artillery at bay and make openings for melee to push.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Post by c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ »

More on soul-on-soul battles:

The attacking souless always have an advantage because it takes them a while to turn around (they are slower in this respect than arcs).

If their soulless are clumped or partly clumped, target the souls in the back, increasing your chance that your spears will go through multiple souls.

Dodge in a circular motion with many clicks rather than from side to side. Alternate between clockwise and counterclockwise so that your opponent cant easily predict your motions with control-clicks (also true for arc duels). Occasional space-bar stops after the opponent has just let off a volley can work too.

Against very proficient dodgers try to anticipate your opponents dodges with control clicks. This is best don't with only a few of your souls rather than the entire group. Control clicks can also be used to hit advancing units beyond your usual range, or as a simple bluff to hold them at a distance (true for targeting any unit).

Stagger your fire to make your volleys harder to dodge by targeting independently with several sub-groups of souls (this is also true for arcs and equally important when targeting any unit, particularly trow and fetch).

If facing a proficient dodger you can interrupt your throws with taunt and then throw immediately after. This is most effective in conjunction with a sub-group using regular targeting & staggered fire (again, also true for arcs and can be used when targeting any unit, through this usually only comes into play in climactic soulless duels).

See what soul(s) they are targeting and dodge with just that/those souls while your other souls fire continuously. Opponents tend to fixate on very damaged units so use these as to attract attention. Skilled opponents will usually catch on after 2 or 3 volleys so keep that in mind. Avoid falling for this same tactic by being alert to it and by targeting multiple enemies (don't over do it though). A red soul does not need 8 simultaneous spears through it to die.

Being proficient with drag-select rather than completely reliant on presets is immensely useful in such duels (also true for arcs).

Remember, the closer you are the more accurate your souls will be. If the terrain and numbers are favorable, it is good to advance after each volley. Don't forget that souls can stab.

Don't get wighted.
wwo

Post by wwo »

Souls tend to be assigned in larger groups than archers. Archers, whether because of trade or strat or w/e, can work in groups as small as 3; whereas souls tend to have ~6 as a minimum handout. The tactic of subgroups, as MM terms it, is much more prevalent with souls than arcs. Even with as many as 8 archers, you're probably using one of two tactics: attacking by halves (a=4, b=4) or attacking with a majority semi-blindly and microing dodges for two or so. With 8 soulless, though, because of their slightly worse maneuverability, you really want to start out thinking of those 8 souls as three groups. Control-click (or regular) attack with one group (A); dodge with the group your enemy is attacking (B); and with the third group (C), either move it into a more advantageous position like higher ground or slightly flanking, or let it auto-attack while you concentrate on A & B. Obviously any grouptype can swap to another type at any time, and A & B can be the same group in which case you have 2 flex groups of C.
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

Really in soul vs soul battles people are better off just getting good at dodging spears, firing, rinse and repeat, and then throw in control clicks against people who can dodge. The main focus is on not getting hit, doing damage is a bonus since if the other guy can dodge well you're not going to have much control over whether you hit him or not. This business of microing your souls to target more than one unit only matters when they're close enough that moving won't avoid getting hit, which doesn't happen much in team games. In these cases, yeah, what wwo said. Pure soul vs soul battles only happen on maps like Drowned Empire where no other unit can attack souls once they get on a cliff, or maps like Caer Cadarn with its big uncrossable river.
Close range soul vs soul battles usually end up with the middle ones being close enough that dodging doesn't matter much if at all and you have to micro the ones on the sides of your formation to get them to do something useful. The attacker's usually downhill too. Not much else to say except that shit takes practice.
Also regarding only dodging with the unit that's getting shot at: not generally a good idea. When people did that against me in soul/archer fights I just changed targets and hit the units that weren't moving. This could maybe work if it's close range, you see they're only targeting one of your souls, and you have good single-unit dodging micro. Good players will attack different targets at close range anyway.
Staggering fire can be a good idea sometimes, like when there's aggressive dodging trow or pus ghols coming at you and your units want to all fire at the same time. This is only worth doing if you have nothing better to do with your micro and you're not getting shot by enemy arcs/souls. You do it by spacing your units, selecting about 20% of them at a time(or half if you can't spare much micro time) and clicking on your target. This has the effect of making the other guy have to spend more micro time on dodging while your artillery can sit there doing its job as you micro something else.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I was definitely thinking of Caer. 2t Maps where souls are significant are few, and most of the time the best target for and biggest threat to are not other souls.
Zak

Post by Zak »

Important 2 team maps where souls are relevant:

If I had a trow
Caer Cadarn dark/trow
A broken arrow
Acts of Cruelty
poison holiday dark
hvergelmire dark
frozen cloudspine
fosgarach dark
grave reason dark
tamaerlin dark
sieve (railroad) dark
when the trow comes around
Drowned empire
quixotism dark/trow
spinach dark
oasis dark
green paradise dark

Obviously some maps souls have less importance, but its fairly rare to see a trade with 0 soulless, especially when there is a lot of water/impassible hills, or there are giant/trow on the map.
drunken_deer

Post by drunken_deer »

add Mjolphobia to that list zak. That is probably THE most important soulless map I can think of, especially on Lmoth
SamTheButcher

Post by SamTheButcher »

Another would be Barbarian Valley (dark).
wwo

Post by wwo »

If I had a trow - typical anti-trow since there's not much room for soul v soul, and morts/locks rape souls here; half of max is quite viable
Caer Cadarn dark/trow - anti-trow, but soulless dominion has to be established first; on dark w/no trow, there are spiders, another great dynamic; half-max or less is a bad idea
A broken arrow - is this that narrow map of limp's? still anti-trow but also spiders, so a fun map for souls if your teammates aren't retarded
Acts of Cruelty - definitely not significant; annoying, sure; the majority of wins (hell, trades in general) are soulless-less
poison holiday dark - due to few spots that are both good perches and safe from other artillery, can really only dissuade passing units; halfmax might be too much
hvergelmire dark - see above but worse because of almost no perches and no real height advantages; anti-trow at best, concentration sink at worst
frozen cloudspine - lol what map? gtfo; even if so, they're far too dependent on spiders for protection and fetch can still negate them
fosgarach dark - yeah this is played a lot... (and suffers worse than hver's problems of no height or big perches)
grave reason dark - probably in the top tier as far as necessity goes, needing to combine w/spiders to dominate mid
tamaerlin dark - same role as IfIHadATrow
sieve (railroad) dark - see above
when the trow comes around - never heard of this
Drowned empire - depends on game type, really; rushes tend to be the winning formula because of rain for dwarf duds and tons of pus available
quixotism dark/trow - rare, gtfo
spinach dark - wtf is this? keep g'ing tfo
oasis dark - unless it's ctf and you sneak them, 9 times out of 10 soulless are more in the way, sucking up concentration to keep them alive, much less useful
green paradise dark - what map?

Randomly naming maps that have soulless is not an argument that they're significant.
Obviously some maps souls have less importance, but its fairly rare to see a trade with 0 soulless, especially when there is a lot of water/impassible hills, or there are giant/trow on the map.
I never set "relevant" as the standard. Not only are you trying to argue against a point I never made, you did it badly. Left and right you accuse people of misrepresenting your claims, or bringing in off-topic points, but it's time to get a full-length mirror and stare at it a while.
Zak

Post by Zak »

wwo wrote: Randomly naming maps that have soulless is not an argument that they're significant.
I never set "relevant" as the standard. Not only are you trying to argue against a point I never made, you did it badly. Left and right you accuse people of misrepresenting your claims, or bringing in off-topic points, but it's time to get a full-length mirror and stare at it a while.
I get it that the timing and wording of my post looks that way but you're incorrectly perceiving my post as an attack on you, and need to chill the fuck out. If I was trying to argue with you I would have quoted you. I was merely trying to contribute to the thread by listing 2 team maps with soulless on them so we could compare the different roles they have on each map, which you did an excellent job of.

For a more in-depth look at the subject I was trying to lead the conversation towards, lets look at the number of maps (from this sample) where each role is important.

Anti-trow: I count about 10 or 11 maps where soulless' main job is anti-trow
Anti-fetch: 8 or so maps where souls should be targeting fetch (sometimes trow too)
Anti-mort: I only see about 3 or 4 maps where souls could feasibly fight morts without getting completely raped
Anti-warlock: maybe 1 or 2 maps, souls could kill warlocks, using the hill
Anti-souls: I see 5-6 maps where soul on soul is something that actually happens frequently. Sure, a lot of maps could potentially result in soul on soul, but its not that common

So really all this advice on soulless fighting soulless is not that useful. Instead people should be learning how to use souls correctly to fight fetch and properly harrass trow. Also they should know the role soulless have on each map (and whether to be proactive or afk on a hill all game)
wwo wrote:most of the time the best target for and biggest threat to are not other souls.
Hey look, I agree with you, fuckface
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

You are forgetting the greatest, most OG soul map of all time.

Carnage

Light

LMOTH
wwo

Post by wwo »

I get it, I just didn't want people to falsely think "souls are super-awesome". I think we agree mostly (disagree on anything implying souls are any kind of counter or threat to fetch).
Hadzenegger

Post by Hadzenegger »

LOL
on that mouse game thing:

"Epic Fail, find a new mouse for sure"

mouse is from circa 2000 maybe older
shit laptop with no sound is from 02 or so.

get at me bros
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

The most manly way to play myth is on a touchpad whilst drunk. Playing with a mouse is for pussies and wiggers.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Anybody who says they play myth on a touchpad is full of shit and using it to mask the fact that they suck. - FACT
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Also:

Anybody who constantly brags about playing drunk when everybody else is always drunk too is using it as an excuse for that fact that they are an emo little girl and suck. – FACT
SamTheButcher

Post by SamTheButcher »

Heres a Plugin to help with your Bowmen skills. Its for 1v1 Bowmen Duels set on KG/PG. Under the watchful eyes of the Fir'bolg. Its like tryouts to qualify for Fir'bolg training. The center circle area is fenced in with a fence dividing Players. Timid-Normal is 6v6, Heroic 8v8, Legendary 10v10. There is a Flame and Flameless version. Has BC Lmoth Koth game types. Koth forces Players to fight at close range most of the game. Lmoth close range near end of game. Its good practice.

I have a Solo version vs comp AI. Still testing/working to make it as hard as possible. 6v8 (Heroic difficulty) Is already as tough as an average Player 6v6.

Get it here:
http://thebutchersmaps.weebly.com/
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

adrenaline wrote:Anybody who says they play myth on a touchpad is full of shit and using it to mask the fact that they suck. - FACT
I do actually play on a touchpad and yes I do suck.
Milk Man wrote:Also:

Anybody who constantly brags about playing drunk when everybody else is always drunk too is using it as an excuse for that fact that they are an emo little girl and suck. – FACT
I don't use it as an excuse when I rape day you at FFA, it just emphasizes how terrible you are. -FACT
Vantobia

Post by Vantobia »

SamTheButcher wrote:Heres a Plugin to help with your Bowmen skills. Its for 1v1 Bowmen Duels set on KG/PG. Under the watchful eyes of the Fir'bolg. Its like tryouts to qualify for Fir'bolg training. The center circle area is fenced in with a fence dividing Players. Timid-Normal is 6v6, Heroic 8v8, Legendary 10v10. There is a Flame and Flameless version. Has BC Lmoth Koth game types. Koth forces Players to fight at close range most of the game. Lmoth close range near end of game. Its good practice.

I have a Solo version vs comp AI. Still testing/working to make it as hard as possible. 6v8 (Heroic difficulty) Is already as tough as an average Player 6v6.

Get it here:
Butcher I love you man !! I have been looking for something like this for ages. I can rarely get a game going in my timezone so this will help me to play a bit and try and improve when games are not on. Need to get a puss defense simulator working too - practise that puss blocking etc etc.
drunken_deer

Post by drunken_deer »

SamTheButcher wrote:Heres a Plugin to help with your Bowmen skills. Its for 1v1 Bowmen Duels set on KG/PG. Under the watchful eyes of the Fir'bolg. Its like tryouts to qualify for Fir'bolg training. The center circle area is fenced in with a fence dividing Players. Timid-Normal is 6v6, Heroic 8v8, Legendary 10v10. There is a Flame and Flameless version. Has BC Lmoth Koth game types. Koth forces Players to fight at close range most of the game. Lmoth close range near end of game. Its good practice.

Get it here:
same. Sam your a fucking legend!
SamTheButcher

Post by SamTheButcher »

Butcher I love you man !! I have been looking for something like this for ages. I can rarely get a game going in my timezone so this will help me to play a bit and try and improve when games are not on. Need to get a puss defense simulator working too - practise that puss blocking etc etc.
same. Sam your a fucking legend!
Cool Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I didnt think anyone had tried it except Funk who I have been training with on it. Its definitely helpful. Sort of like going to batting cages. I can give you a link to the solo version if you like. Just give me feedback on it cause I'm still trying to improve it. As I said on Heroic 6 vs 8 comp is as good or hard to beat as an average Player 6 vs 6. It has a lot of randomization so sometimes it is harder than others. I win about 60% maybe 70% of the time. On Legendary (6vs10) I win about 30%.

I have been thinking of making a series of like "training maps" with different scenarios. Like puss blocking, defending vs a rush etc simulating different situations you can be in a game to help develop different skills. Knowing some Players are interested encourages me to go a head and make them.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

SamTheButcher wrote: I have been thinking of making a series of like "training maps" with different scenarios. Like puss blocking, defending vs a rush etc simulating different situations you can be in a game to help develop different skills. Knowing some Players are interested encourages me to go a head and make them.
Definitely interested, especially for warmup use. Using/defending pus isn't very common in campaign stuff so it'd be great to have a practice/warmup map (vs AI or otherwise) for that.
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

I don't think this training map thing is a great idea. The AI is a lot dumber than a good player, and a whole lot more predictable. The best way for someone to hone an aspect of their game, like say rushing or anti-pus, is to practice it against real players and watch the films to analyze their mistakes.
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

Also for shaking off rust or warming up, some of the campaign levels provide good training...for example playing The Wall on legendary going for no casualties is really good for training at multitasking multiple areas at once, and many of the other levels are good for refamiliarizing yourself with archers, dorfs and melee. I haven't played 3rd party campaign levels in ages so I don't know which ones use regular locks, mortars and ghols, those would probably be useful for training if anyone knows of them.
Again, the AI isn't good training for playing against real players, solo games are only good for warming up your micro and preset use, and familiarizing yourself with things like artillery ranges, all of which you get rusty at if you haven't played Myth in a while.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Myrk wrote:I don't think this training map thing is a great idea. The AI is a lot dumber than a good player, and a whole lot more predictable. The best way for someone to hone an aspect of their game, like say rushing or anti-pus, is to practice it against real players and watch the films to analyze their mistakes.
Agreed, but sam's stuff is both; it's mainly targeted at playing PvP, just with scripting to avoid the tedium of resetting and running stuff over and over. Deathmatch is ok, but you still waste a lot of time setting up.

As far as AI stuff goes, it's still better than nothing I think. No one would claim that it's comparable to real players, but if I could get a little warm up for pussing and the like - even in simpler cases - sometimes that would be useful. Nothing like that in campaign. I could see some other cases where the AI would be a passable approximation too like player microing fetch while being attacked by souls/morts or blocking lock shots with melee/mort shots, etc. Just timing things that aren't really dependent on micro from the other player too much.
Vantobia

Post by Vantobia »

Yeah exactly what Punk said. The best practice is always going to be playing vs good opponents but for people outside of the U.S even low quality rabble games are rare.

Keep it up the good work Butcher, I am very very keen to try out everything you are working on, cheers.
Vantobia

Post by Vantobia »

SamTheButcher wrote:[ I can give you a link to the solo version if you like. Just give me feedback on it cause I'm still trying to improve it. As I said on Heroic 6 vs 8 comp is as good or hard to beat as an average Player 6 vs 6. It has a lot of randomization so sometimes it is harder than others. I win about 60% maybe 70% of the time. On Legendary (6vs10) I win about 30%.

I have been thinking of making a series of like "training maps" with different scenarios. Like puss blocking, defending vs a rush etc simulating different situations you can be in a game to help develop different skills. Knowing some Players are interested encourages me to go a head and make them.
Do eeeet mate, send me the links. Cheeers
par73

Post by par73 »

Myrk wrote:I don't think this training map thing is a great idea. The AI is a lot dumber than a good player, and a whole lot more predictable. The best way for someone to hone an aspect of their game, like say rushing or anti-pus, is to practice it against real players and watch the films to analyze their mistakes.
drunken_deer

Post by drunken_deer »

I dont give a shit what anyone says Sam about you making training maps. if it contributes to myth in Any shape or form I will approve it.
SamTheButcher

Post by SamTheButcher »

drunken_deer wrote:I dont give a shit what anyone says Sam about you making training maps. if it contributes to myth in Any shape or form I will approve it.

Thanks. It is at their own lose if they dont. The maps are like doing drills for sports training. With the Bowmen map playing it over and over is going to help with at the least arrow dodging plus you can practice different techniques. I have the solo version up. I am sure you saw it. You try it out yet. Did you have any problems loading it like Vantobia did? If you did get to play how was it? Was it difficult enough? Thats the main thing I'm trying to do. Without input I dont know how good/bad it is to other people. Which would be helpful to know for other training maps. Gives me an idea on what works and what doesnt.
grim

Post by grim »

Moving this here since this thread might seem semi-useful in appearence.
killerking

Post by killerking »

Anyone got more/new tips?
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

Do the opposite of whatever grim did.
killerking

Post by killerking »

GiantKillerGeneral just learned me that whatever the gametype is, you should always play BC. Usually, this wins you the game.
However, if you don't win, you should say: I don't care.

Evidence?
Check GKG's stats:

Game Type Second Third Low Kills Losses Kill/Loss Ratio DmgGiven DmgTaken DmgRatio
Overall
Rank 6
MCS 202.3
Games 1445
Wins 949 (=66% of games played)
Second 36
third25
low 440
kills 20335
losses 14196
kill/loss ratio 1.432:1
DmgGiven 70936
DmgTaken 45584
DmgRatio 1.556:1
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

killerking wrote:GiantKillerGeneral just learned me that whatever the gametype is, you should always play BC.
Except FFA LMOTH where you should just AFK for 95% of it then click your guys on the flag at the end.
wwo

Post by wwo »

GKG's stats are inflated because he, like adren and ew, does not participate in games where sucky players might make winning or bc-domination possible (and the accusations of "stacking" in otherwise random games). This doesn't make his approach invalidated, but doesn't validate it, either.
pallidice

Post by pallidice »

ya what wwo said
Giant Killer General

I assure you all that I do not give two shits about my stats. /end discussion
wwo

Post by wwo »

That contradicts 4 godawful (rabble ffa) games in a row where you made quite a point of pointing out your damage/ratios despite not winning a single game.

Your assurances are hollow!
Giant Killer General

uhm, everyone has pointed out amusing stats during the post-game from time to time for any kind of game, since the dawn of myth. I thought that was just part of the game, but I guess everyone cares about their overall stats record then.

i have no idea what rabble ffas you are even talking about, don't care.

maybe I care about my stats in random rabble games, or maybe I am just in the mood for killing people when I can't get anyone to 1v1 me, and ffa games are the only games around. I wonder which is more likely.
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

I for one don't think you intentionally pad your stats. However, for what it's worth I have recently seen you drop or afk the whole game presumably if you don't think the odds are too great, or you're not thrilled with your teammates.
Giant Killer General

holy shit the retardation is starting to reach epic levels in here
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

The point is moot right now due to BS damage ratio computation in 1.7.2 games. People who tend to take "high HP" units like trow will have skewed stats, and not just because they tend to get a lot of easy damage on high value targets (arty), but because they don't take a single point of damage on their stats if their unit doesn't actually die...

So yeah, not much point in even discussing ratios. Rabble ratios are fairly meaningless anyways, tourney stats should be much more interesting.
par73

Post by par73 »

Dude listen the only way you can "improve myth skill" is to get your ass kicked a zillion times by players better than you (getting yelled at by them also helps) in order to construct better unit handling ethics. If you don't value failure as much as victory you won't ever learn anything and you won't ever want to play this fucking game. The end.