NBA SPORTS TALK 1o1

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
East Wind tmnt

Re: NBA SPORTS TALK 1o1

Post by East Wind tmnt »

Where is that coming from and where have they measured every other star inn a history in a similar way?
Captain

Post by Captain »

I doubt anyone has done comparisons on everyone no.. But they have done it on several other stars, and Kobe always ends up losing. I don't have the article anymore I will look for it....http://thesportingtruth.com/?p=2035 That is some of his poor comparisons there. A very good article to see how well Kobe has actually done.
Chohan

Post by Chohan »

You can't measure heart.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Chohan wrote:You can't measure heart.
If you could measure hearth Kobe would be one of the worst players in the NBA
wwo

Post by wwo »

Captain wrote:That article is a complete joke....They say the article they are talking about(which I wasn't quoting btw) picked arbitrary numbers and that's why it is off.

Wrong. I am not even talking about the years when Kobe had Bynum and stuff, I am talking his early years...But none the less, Kobe again, is one of the only stars to have a negative effect on his team's outcome of the came.
Let's not consider journalists, or fans, or coaches, or historians, or accountants. Let's consider the best judges of talent in the NBA: the players. With few exceptions, NBA players, past and present, consider Kobe one of the greatest of all-time. Wade doesn't even get mentioned in their all-time lists.

So here's where you tell us why the players' opinions don't count.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

wwo wrote:
Captain wrote:That article is a complete joke....They say the article they are talking about(which I wasn't quoting btw) picked arbitrary numbers and that's why it is off.

Wrong. I am not even talking about the years when Kobe had Bynum and stuff, I am talking his early years...But none the less, Kobe again, is one of the only stars to have a negative effect on his team's outcome of the came.
Let's not consider journalists, or fans, or coaches, or historians, or accountants. Let's consider the best judges of talent in the NBA: the players. With few exceptions, NBA players, past and present, consider Kobe one of the greatest of all-time. Wade doesn't even get mentioned in their all-time lists.

So here's where you tell us why the players' opinions don't count.

There is a flaw in this reasoning. If the players were such a great judge of player abilities they would be GM's.

Michael Jordan --> Kwame Brown --> Bobcats. yeahhhh that's not working out.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I'm sure that's sarcasm. Brown hadn't played a second of pro ball yet. MJ is more than qualified to evaluate pro talent with years in the league. Right? (use smileys for sarcasm plz)
Captain

Post by Captain »

Yes, I don't think players are a great judge of talent. There is a reason Michael Jordan picks terrible players, and thinks Kobe is the greatest..He just isn't a great judge of talent.

Besides, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if Kobe didn't shoot the ball a ton, he would just be considered an above average player...I wish I could get to the NBA and shoot a ton and score 30 points a game!
par73

Post by par73 »

MJ should be more than qualified to evaluate college talent
he was college talent turned pro talent

MJ only says kobe is the greatest to flatter himself and jab at kobe for studying his game
par73

Post by par73 »

what i want to know is

are lebron bynum irving and the other 2 draft picks are teaming up in cleveland?

LBRON JUST OPTED OUT
Captain

Post by Captain »

par73 wrote:what i want to know is

are lebron bynum irving and the other 2 draft picks are teaming up in cleveland?

LBRON JUST OPTED OUT

Lol? You no that happened yesterday right? OLD NEWS IS OLD:)

Lebron is going to come to Minnesota with Dwade and Kevin Love. (HAHA)
rawr

Post by rawr »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TXXeONnzs0[/youtube]
haters gonna hater, AHEMMM CAPTAIN
rawr

Post by rawr »

Captain your fucken tripping idiot

Yeah, Kobe isn't clutch!? Having 28 buzzer-beaters just isn't good enough, even though Jordan only had 23. Hell, Kobe would have 3 or 4 MVPs easily but the league didn't want an alleged rapist to be the face of the league until much later. Also, Kobe being able to still compete with KD and James showed how good he was in his mid 30s.
wwo

Post by wwo »

LBRON JUST OPTED OUT
ew explained this, i think.
Captain

Post by Captain »

rawr wrote:Captain your fucken tripping idiot

Yeah, Kobe isn't clutch!? Having 28 buzzer-beaters just isn't good enough, even though Jordan only had 23. Hell, Kobe would have 3 or 4 MVPs easily but the league didn't want an alleged rapist to be the face of the league until much later. Also, Kobe being able to still compete with KD and James showed how good he was in his mid 30s.

Yes, disagree with me and call me a idiot to show how intelligent you are.

Kobe does have a lot of buzzer beaters, but like I have been saying this whole time, his shooting percentage when the game is on the line is like 27%. No one has a worse percentage than he does when it comes to make or break.

What seasons did you think he deserved MVP? Would love to hear that.

Kobe can't compete with either right now, but I will say the last 2 years he has been healthy he has stepped his game up quite a bit and is finally learning to pass the ball.
East Wind tmnt

Post by East Wind tmnt »

It's ok rawr, capt would pick Thabo sefolosha over Kobe
par73

Post by par73 »

Captain wrote:

LBRON JUST OPTED OUT

Lol? You no that happened yesterday right? OLD NEWS IS OLD:)

Lebron is going to come to Minnesota with Dwade and Kevin Love. (HAHA)
i was just wondering what was going on with cruniac's wild theories that he might even believe to come true.

i guess every cleveland fan deep down inside wishes lebron would return to the franchize after hightailing it out of there after 2010. "The Decision", what a robbery.
Why the hell did Stern prevent the Chris Paul to LA trade from happening, meanwhile he allowed this shit to go down in Miami. Absolutely pathetic, david stern should have retired in 2008 and handed the NBA over to silver then.
par73

Post by par73 »

bro stay out of the nba thread, not welcome, thx
every other thread is open grounds but i don't condone your 3 year old attitude
par73

Post by par73 »

LOL well at least you kept it relevant

you must be stupid though
this picture would have been a great analogy for you except sterling is an owner and you never owned anything

ohh wait, you owned the batman open legs club (\v/)
that club reminds me of the LA clippers,
before Griffin was drafted to them in 2010.

lul at relevance
Captain

Post by Captain »

None of mine did actually, so you are wrong. But good try! Way to post 8 times
par73

Post by par73 »

he took his meds and finally went nuh nights
East Wind tmnt

Post by East Wind tmnt »

And I'm not even white, lol - this cat needs to chill out
par73

Post by par73 »

Yo Joel Embiid tweeted "I'm a laker" and deleted it LOL

https://twitter.com/BucketsNBA/status/4 ... 1639743488 <--- SS OR IT AIN'T REAL

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/4 ... 9759828992 <--- LOL
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

76erss going to pull a Noel with Embidd again this year. Sit him out all year even thought he becomes healthy half way through.
par73

Post by par73 »

most rookies aren't nba ready anyway. embiid was the most nba ready out of any player in this draft except maybe parker.

its better if they sit out a year anyway, they need to trade mcw once they're done helping him develop bad habits.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

A guy I work with is jizzing his pants over Julius Randle. Guess we'll wait and see.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Anyone see who the timber wolves drafted?

After getting drafted he mutters on camera "Fuck me"

YEAH!
par73

Post by par73 »

LOL

anyone remember when the timberwolves drafted 2 pg in a row and steph curry was still available?
par73

Post by par73 »

I think this is one of those great cases where 'the mind sees what it wants to see'. expectancy theory. does one who is knowledgable of the timberwolves franchise desire to be selected in the first round by them?
lets see.

the only 2 first round picks the timberwolves have ever drafted worth mentioning are garnett and love.
well maybe allen and lawson too but they were traded to the bucks and nuggets on their draft nights respectively.

thats 4 out of 25 first round picks in the exactly 25 years, and they haven't had a winning season in about 10 years. if i saw zach lavine mumble something on draft day after being drafted to the t'wolves, why wouldn't i expect it to be something negative?
East Wind tmnt

Post by East Wind tmnt »

Yea I get ur point but the staff and shit will see that, not a good way to start ur career. You see what happens to the Michael beasleys in the nba, they get weeded out.
par73

Post by par73 »

Yea I see that. And while they see that, who says that is actually what he said (right, media)? Lip reading is one thing, but what if he said "Fuck man" as in "Fuck man I finally did it, I'm in the NBA."

I'm saying the staff and franchise wouldn't think he said 'fuck me' unless they thought negatively about their own franchise, that he really didn't want to go to minnesota, or took what the media portrays seriously, whereas a regular fan of the NBA probably views minnesota negatively because they have never been notable for anything except drafting garnett and getting booted out of the playoffs first round 8 years in a row. hence the media / social media blowing it out of proportion and trolling this dudes moment by downplaying him without even knowing who he is or who he may become.

I'm pretty sure there is a lot of scouting and interviewing that goes into recruiting all players for the draft, why would you select a player you thought had no interest in playing for your franchise? (ex. Kobe and Charlotte)
I'm sure that question is brought up, so why would a player lie and say they have interest? If the player is talented and honest, I think teams are more likely going to listen to that player (unless they think another franchise is going for him and they want to trade with that franchise).
If a player is dishonest in the interviews it's only going to hurt them in the long run.

beasley is a spoiled brat joke
and also a t-wolf for a few years after coming from miami

it might be a bad way to start your career by saying "fuck me", but it might be a great way to start your career by putting your head down into your hands and pausing for a moment before looking to your agent wide eyed saying 'fuck man' as in, 'this is it, i'm here, this is my moment and the one I've been waiting for.'
wwo

Post by wwo »

His reaction and face pretty clearly showed disappointment, even if he was saying "fun mask".
par73

Post by par73 »

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/26/5 ... -nba-draft

"That is a Vine depicting the first words out of Zach LaVine's mouth after he was chosen by the Minnesota Timberwolves with the 13th pick in the NBA Draft. It's not clear what LaVine's saying, although it does look a lot like the first word begins with the letter F, ends in an "uck"-like sound, and is not very long. It's the sort of word you can say when you're happy, and it's the sort of word you can say when you're not. It's a very useful word in that way.

For instance, you could say it with the word "man" after it, and it could express awe at the remarkable way in which your life has changed, and amazement at the sudden eruption into reality of a lifelong dream. You could also say that short, useful word in an exasperated way, with the word "me" after it, and have it mean something like "Sweet, I guess I'll get really good at shoveling next winter, when I'm living in Minneapolis and playing for the Timberwolves."

Twitter, naturally, seemed to think it was the latter. Which is Twitter's business, of course. The same went for LaVine's initial response to hearing his name called, which could also look like disappointment to someone inclined to see it that way.

The fact of it is that LaVine, who has spent much of his young life thinking about being a NBA basketball player, was most likely overcome by the sudden arrival of that reality. That is probably a happily gobsmacked "uck" word, a giddily overwhelmed head on a desk. The Timberwolves are the Timberwolves, but Occam's Razor is Occam's Razor.

Zach LaVine will learn a lot as a basketball player, and probably give us a number of fun things to watch. He's already taught us all a valuable lesson in context."
par73

Post by par73 »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2114 ... ach-lavine

"When I was available at No. 13, Nima had a number of teams calling him saying they would take me. It was crazy. At that time, because we knew Timberwolves coach and president Flip Saunders was a big fan of me, Nima called him directly. That's when Flip told Nima, "Yeah, I'm going to take him." Nima turned to me and said, "Zach, I'm proud of you. Are you ready to go? We're about to go to Minnesota." Nima wanted to tell me a little bit in advance so I was prepared for it before the ESPN camera came to our table. So when Adam Silver said, "Zach LaVine," I just lost it." - Zach Lavine

After the pick

Thursday, June 26 at 11 p.m.: Zach continues to recap draft night while signing autographs and taking pictures with fans outside of the arena.

"When Nima told me I had been picked, I was in shock. I said, "Are you for real?" He said, "Yeah, man." And then Adam Silver called my name, and I just put my head down and thanked God. When I got up to put the Timberwolves hat on, I said "F---, man." I didn't say, "F--- me," as everyone thought I did; people and social media took it the wrong way." - Zach Lavine

"The Timberwolves workout was the toughest one I did. Flip is known for really challenging players in workouts to see who's mentally strong, tough and can fight through. Even the warm-up was hard; stretching out got me tired. They made the gym hotter, so we had to work even harder. Flip put us all through these drills—3-on-3, 2-on-2, 1-on-1, running a lot of different sets, getting up and down to show your athleticism—and we only had one quick water break...

... I'm so grateful and happy to be a Timberwolves player. After all the hours, and the blood, sweat and tears, no one could know about the emotions going through me at that time. I was in disbelief. It might not have been the best reaction, but it's what happened. I'm still happy.

As I was walking up to the stage, I couldn't really breathe. My hands were cold and I was nervous. I was so stunned, like I was out of it. I even told the commissioner, "I can't believe this is happening." He said, "You're alright, Zach. Good job." I thought I was going to lose it and have some sniffles.

When I went backstage after the pick, Andrew Wiggins and I caught eyes. We're cool with each other from training together at P3 in Santa Barbara, and he gave me a great big hug. It was just the best thing in the world for me, so I was very happy.

I also talked to Flip over the phone and he said, "We drafted you for a reason. We love your game and your personality." I was really relieved after I talked to him. I was completely happy. All I could say was, "Thank you. I can't wait to work my butt off and try to help you guys win."" - Zach Lavine
wwo

Post by wwo »

It's nice when being wrong turns out so well. I might actually go to some T'wolves games this year. Tickets are cheap and always available.
par73

Post by par73 »

you better go while you can, this is the last year K Love will be in Minnesota
East Wind tmnt

Post by East Wind tmnt »

Good call par with the lip reading
par73

Post by par73 »

everyone's quiet now that lebrons back in cleveland
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

http://elitedaily.com/sports/this-what- ... os/663531/

dang Sacramento actually get worse. At least we could have Jason Kidd as our coach to spill a drink or 2.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Post by c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ »

Asmo you need to stop drinking the ESPN morality play kool aid and realize Cousins is the best center in the NBA this year. Don't tell the children, but being a nice or mature person has nothing to do being good at basketball.

a) This stat doesnt exist but I'm almost postitive he is the most often doubleteamed player in the league

a) He has handles and regularly goes for coast to coast dunks that could kill man:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5vPfE47ivQ[/youtube]

b) He can shoot, he has a sick midrange game, he's even been working on his 3s

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcyZADaVH8[/youtube]

(jk good centers shouldn't shoot threes)

b) He not only has amazing footwork in the post, but its a really creative, aggressive style (he's at 4:48 but you can watch other centers for comparison, and the next vid for Tim Duncan):
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lduiW0RDRx4[/youtube]

c) Dude is almost Shaq-like in raw power going to the hole:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFWuADO8CdM[/youtube]

d) He's good on D, why does noone talk about this? He regularly even guards the other team's PF if he's better than their C:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULny1yAzVik[/youtube]

e) He likes dogs
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moo1GEeCnBo[/youtube]
par73

Post by par73 »

hes so fucken expensive to use on fan duel however
valentine

Post by valentine »

murica will make basketball players wear helmets and full pads next season. Also, there will be 10 additional timeouts per quarter so ppl have time to get snacks and get fat
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Um yea whatever.

Nice knicks over cavs, maybe the triangle + vinotherapy works?!
par73

Post by par73 »

i really don't get why asmo would be dissing his favorite NBA team's best player

cousins kinda sucks tho, pretty unpredictable. has some really great games, has some really awful games, gets the minutes to show 'nice' statistics. but the kings don't have a rebounding or defensive power forward and his above average rebounding and block stats reflect that.
one could argue that cousin's isn't even one of the top 5 centers in the league : See Anthony Davis, Dwight Howard, Deandre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Al Jefferson
What al does with the bobcats is, beyond arguable, far more than what cousins does to the kings.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

His stats don't even reflect how good he is, his efficiency is bad because his team is awful. I'm basing this all on watching him play, not on stats, so not having a real PF is a liability not a benefit. He gets so frustrated he starts just playing PG, center, everything, like fuckin Magic Johnson. Anthony Davis is beastly but he isn't a center. Boogie is definately better than Deandre. I love Al Jefferson but he sucks at defense. Dwight Howard has zero post moves. Marc Gasol might be better but when you watch both of them play Cousins is just so much smoother & athletic.