Crazy King of the Hill?

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
Silent

Crazy King of the Hill?

Post by Silent »

So for those that didn't follow Bungie into Halo, Crazy King means that teams score time in the hill based on how many of their members are in it. That is, you'll get 3 points every second with 3 people in the hill versus 1 point per second with 1 person.

Does anyone know if there's anything in Myth that could tell specifically how many units are on the hill? Just seems like it would be a fun twist that might mix up the unit trading and distance KoTH even more from the camp-fest of LMoTH. If someone mobs the hill with thrall at the beginning they'd need to be dropped immediately, and teams that go for high-cost units and don't fight until the midpoint (counting on exterminating everyone) would have an even more difficult time of catching up.

Of course, if it also awarded the surviving team with the remaining time per survivor, that could get a little unbalanced (though all anyone would have to do to prevent it is send one thrall to the ass-end of the map).
Pyro

Re: Crazy King of the Hill?

Post by Pyro »

This isn't really the place to ask as most mapmakers don't check these forums much if at all. But it may be possible to do with some creative scripting and taking advantage of the KotM gametype to make it happen.
toxyn

Post by toxyn »

AFAIK, there is no way to increase the time increments with map making tools alone. Not sure with recent updates.

Detecting units on a part of a map and how many from a team/player are can be done through map actions in Loathing. I did it myself years ago when I was trying to build a map and create new game types or rather twists on existing game types. Basically, I think all I did was put TUNI or GEO map actions together for 3 different locations where I placed dummy (scenery) flags. When a team had 1+ unit(s) near all 3 flags, I would engage another map action to move an uncontrollable unit for that team to contest a hidden KOTH ball. It was basically Terries+KOTH, but you had to contest all 3 simultaneously to put time on the flag. Or maybe it had to be at least 2 out of 3, don't remember. It was pretty ghetto, but it worked and I wanted to experiment with new things in multiplayer. I had a few other kooky ones I put together on an original map but I never released it.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Just going to be honest, this is not a good idea for a game type. Sure it works in halo where every players has an even # of units (1 per player). In myth where there is several units and the trades are not split evenly between players this game type would make no sense.

I'm all for new game types, but there is surely some better ideas out there than this.
wwo

Post by wwo »

toxyn wrote:AFAIK, there is no way to increase the time increments with map making tools alone. Not sure with recent updates.

Detecting units on a part of a map and how many from a team/player are can be done through map actions in Loathing. I did it myself years ago when I was trying to build a map and create new game types or rather twists on existing game types. Basically, I think all I did was put TUNI or GEO map actions together for 3 different locations where I placed dummy (scenery) flags. When a team had 1+ unit(s) near all 3 flags, I would engage another map action to move an uncontrollable unit for that team to contest a hidden KOTH ball. It was basically Terries+KOTH, but you had to contest all 3 simultaneously to put time on the flag. Or maybe it had to be at least 2 out of 3, don't remember. It was pretty ghetto, but it worked and I wanted to experiment with new things in multiplayer. I had a few other kooky ones I put together on an original map but I never released it.
Sounds awesome. If you have the little time required, let's collaborate on a one-off map that does this. What was the generic gametype you used this with?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

toxyn wrote:AFAIK, there is no way to increase the time increments with map making tools alone. Not sure with recent updates.
Using the KotM gametype (introduced in 1.8.0) as a base it is possible.

Speaking about new gametypes... no one has yet to try out Grab the Flag. Too much walking around probably.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

I'd like to see the ability to make units' health infinite, then play BC games. Sure it would be infinite but would make you play to the very end of the clock.