Deleting Auto-Attack from Artillery

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
par73

Deleting Auto-Attack from Artillery

Post by par73 »

it's 2014, why not.

most artillery units are meant to be ctrl clicked anyway !
punkUser

Re: Deleting Auto-Attack from Artillery

Post by punkUser »

Obviously not a metaserver issue... moving to Free for All but really you should start the discussion at PM.net.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I would fully support this idea. I hate auto attack. And no only for incurring self-damage... but when you are playing in a laggy server, locks often auto on a unit even though you just ctrl-clicked... annoying as hell.
Silent

Post by Silent »

It would screw up some of the large-army maps (where you often need to let them auto) so if this was something that couldn't be toggled on or off by the user, my vote goes to:

Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Make a tagset with no auto-attack and be done with it.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Who am I kidding... none of you are going to raise a finger for it. Try this plugin.
wwo

Post by wwo »

Pyro wrote:Who am I kidding... none of you are going to raise a finger for it. Try this plugin.
I might've done it! Actually, I did back in '07, but this community is so resistant to change I didn't keep it, much less introduce it. It's startling that this is now a desire. Thanks for the work!
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

People need to stop trying to change the pureness of the gameplay. Learn to micro manage your units. Learn how pathfinding works. These are aspects of the game that make for infinite skill level. When everyone has access to the same handicaps, then the game's skill level drops and potential is maximized.

I think 1.8 was a step in the wrong direction when it comes to customizing how the game is played. 1 key recalls for presets without ALT+#? This is bullshit.
par73

Post by par73 »

Silent wrote:It would screw up some of the large-army maps (where you often need to let them auto)
you don't ever really need them to auto, i don't get that logic really
Silent

Post by Silent »

I'm thinking Wars of Reckoning with few players. Making the archers micro-only would make those units near pointless.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I'll play the snob here and say that WoR hardly counts as "playing Myth". I've played with WoR fanatics a few times, and the non-hero units are used, at best, at 2% efficiency. If losing autoattack takes that down to 1%, it's really no loss.

As it is, this will only ever be a plugin, and if it makes some people not want to join, then it's their loss and everyone else's gain.
par73

Post by par73 »

Silent wrote:Making the archers micro-only would make those units near pointless.
I don't really count archers as artillery. I would consider them anti-artillery, and in regards to this topic i was referring to units like dwarves, dwarven mortars, warlocks, and fetch.

Also microing a large number of archers is easy with one (or sometimes even two !) preset groups.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

this thread should be locked and deleted.
par73

Post by par73 »

nah it should be thrown in the meta server forum so eliminating the potential of an auto-attack from artillery is implemented in the next patch.

If not, Edulus is going to continue having trouble in 1v1 trow games against obelix, and vice versa.
vigor

Post by vigor »

How about just pressing Space.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

when you are constantly moving around, pressing space 1000x becomes a pain in the ass. And when you are playing in lag, pressing space sometimes happens too late, after your arty have already autofired and fucked your own units. IMO auto fire should never have existed... and the game would be much better without it.
iaindf

Post by iaindf »

I'd be happier if there was no auto, having to constantly press space can get tedious and on the odd occasion you do want auto-fire, there's always "G."
iaindf

Post by iaindf »

That said, I don't actually know if hitting G enables auto-fire or not, never really use it.
shadow

Post by shadow »

don't touch MYTH with your sticky hands
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Zooming out further = huge change, ruins myth, designed to be close up
Getting rid of auto-attack = way it should have always been

Discuss ;)

Just kidding. I personally wouldn't have a problem with either change but it is funny to note that the zoom thing was clearly for technical reasons whereas auto-attack was intentional/as designed. It may have been a bad design, but it was definitely intentional.

But hey, Pyro made a tagset to change it so why not use that and see how you like it? Great thing about Myth is that a lot of this is fully in the hands of the players via plugins.
par73

Post by par73 »

might as well make both changes at this point!
you should be able to have an option to get rid of auto attack, because its an intentionally bad design and i have enough fun like that when i forget to drop my satchels
whereas zooming out further should be global
+ would be interesting to be able to que more advanced commands than waypointing
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

Auto attack is key when it comes to dummying as certain players such as Blade or Muse for example.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Well like I said, auto-attack is easily changeable in a plugin (see Pyro's) so give that a try. Allowing extended zoom ingame would require a client change but it's not "hard" per se.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I want to test this. Anyone on right now?
iaindf

Post by iaindf »

Gave it a go but decided I'm not keen on having no option to use auto on occasions when it is beneficial; arcs on high-ground, for example. If it's easily changeable I'll maybe have a tinker myself.
par73

Post by par73 »

iaqwna, you should learn to play in a way where you manually control every thing rather than rely on auto attack.

do you think there could be a way to disable auto-attack with a mapped key in-game that can be unit specific?

i.e. enemy trow rush , select artillery, press "d" for disable AA