Poll: How to play when you know you've lost

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.

How should you play once you know you've lost the game?

You may select 1 option

View results

jason_ac

Poll: How to play when you know you've lost

Post by jason_ac »

Inspired by the thread about possible poor sportsmanship
wwo

Re: Poll: How to play when you know you've lost

Post by wwo »

Before the insults to the OP arrive...

Depends. Placement counts, but only to a point.
Somewhat in order:

1st
2nd
hateplay a pal
hateplay a douchebag
select-all, click on nearest player, go afk
run around playing sniper-style BC
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

wwo wrote:Before the insults to the OP arrive...
Is this a controversial question?

>"Placement counts, but only to a point."

Yeah, I already figured that, but it seemed too complicated to express that in the poll.

I wonder if a rank system would incentivize playing for placement. Unfortunately rank systems usually also incentivize cheating, & hammering newbies to eke out a few extra points.
Kashmir

Post by Kashmir »

I chose A, I agree with wwo that it's situational. For instance if I know I can't mathematically win a KotH game anymore, I'm not the type of player who locks onto the current leader and BCs him, as all that is going to do is ruin his game that he's more than likely playing very well to be in his position, I consider that to be a pretty shitty thing to do to somebody. In that instance I will focus my attacks on the highest ranked player that I can actually finish ahead of, thus attempting to finish as high as I possibly can at that point, A. If I see no likely possibility of improving my finishing position in a game, I am most likely to finish my fight with whoever I am fighting at the time and make them buy my blood at a very dear price so to speak.
wwo

Post by wwo »

jason_ac wrote: Is this a controversial question?
The question implies there might be a proper way to play at all, much less under condition X.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

wwo wrote:The question implies there might be a proper way to play at all, much less under condition X.
Ah. It's more like, I'm curious to see if the community thinks there is a proper way to play (& I'm kind of expecting a split, a lot of A votes, and a lot of B votes). Hmmm, I probably should've worded B differently, I didn't really want to put a value judgment on it. Oh well, flame on :P
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

who is this guy and why is he putting forth care?
argos

Post by argos »

just do the most you can with your units: fight hard and smart while losing the fewest possible. you can often win that way, even against insurmountable odds
wwo

Post by wwo »

argos wrote:against insurmountable odds
For many players, this begins at "game on".
rawr

Post by rawr »

Pick up my dmg ratios and kill ratios on players like kashmir or farhad TROLLLOLLL
Kashmir

Post by Kashmir »

rawr wrote:Pick up my dmg ratios and kill ratios on players like kashmir or farhad TROLLLOLLL
You left out the little tidbit about how you spend the remainder of the game after you are eliminated filling up everybody's screen with your complaints about the injustices done to you.
wwo

Post by wwo »

Kashmir wrote:
rawr wrote:Pick up my dmg ratios and kill ratios on players like kashmir or farhad TROLLLOLLL
You left out the little tidbit about how you spend the remainder of the game after you are eliminated filling up everybody's screen with your complaints about the injustices done to you.
This is far preferable to paris spamming rap "lyrics".
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

Since I don't really play ffa anymore, when the game becomes unwinnable I let the other team tag all the flags and end it, if I happen to be playing dota 2 I go afk in the fountain and watch youtube videos, making sure to come back every couple minutes to kill a creep so I don't get an abandon
vigor

Post by vigor »

Trying to beat a certain player.