Feature Priorities

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
Renwood

Re: Feature Priorities

Post by Renwood »

Some cool and interesting ideas jason on stats tracking. One thing I can see being very nifty and useful would be accuracy ratios of things like dorf bottles, mort shels and puss. As punk said, the client does not currently send this information, but maybe someday...

I have mentioned this over the years many times, and it lead to the inclusion of persistent vets in COOP even after a new player joins.

I would love to see a host OPTION for persistent vets in multiplayer just like it now works for COOP, where you keep your vets even if new people join.

Something that would require more effort, but would be infinitely cool, would be the ability to save vet units to a bank for use on later dates.
Some thing like, you can save or it auto saves the top 5 most veteran (Battles survived) or units with the most kills. It would add a lot of interesting replay-ability and be a new fun way to play myth. To allow vet units from the bank would be a HOST OPTION, so its not forced on anybody.

Being able to vet up and save to a bank, your 5 best dorfs, warriors, Fatties (J men) or trow and archers and other units would be pretty damn awesome and lots of fun. Before magma said this was very possible and pretty easy to implement this as I describe it. But I think they said it would require mostly server side changes. Since GOS is actively in development unlike marius for the last 5 years, it would seem a lot more likely and possible now.
par73

Post by par73 »

Some players don't even know how to move to a different room in the server (or that other rooms exist)

is there anyway to permanently blue-bar this information?
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

On the site I'd also like generic, server-wide stats...graph of # of active players each day for the past 3 months, graph that is # active each hour for the past week...good for seeing WHEN most people are playing, top 10 most-played maps in the past 3 months (& do 1 month graph too?), top 10 most-played in the past 3 months that are NOT part of MII or TFL map pack (& do 1 month graph too?), graph of # of each game type played each day for past 3 months, graph of # of FFA vs team games each day for past 3 months, graphs of average # of players in games each day for past 3 months, graphs of unit counts showing how many thrall/archers/etc are being used over time, etc.

From stuff like this we'd see how the community activity is doing, whether any promotion efforts cause a player spike, highlight current hot maps, what people are playing, etc.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

HAWT MAPZ
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Here's an idea...some of the Myth-ers seem to not come to any forums much. But they do chat, and sometimes saying useful stuff (like when/what they want to play, etc). The chat is public anyway...so why not log it to a central location, so you can see what was being chatted about when you couldn't be online? Essentially morphing the chat slightly into being like a forum. When you get a chance, you come check to see what people have been talking about. Perhaps keep 1 rolling week's worth of chat available for anyone's viewing?
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

If you do make a .wank or somesuch, I suggest it not be like MNet, in that it doesn't make your game invisible, just un-joinable. Maybe if wanks see that people are playing, and there is gaming going on, they're just not welcome due to their behavior, it might give them an incentive to be less of an ass.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Not really possible (there's some hacky ways, but they'd be bad). If it's visible the client can try and join it. Passwording is the only way to get that behaviour.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

punkUser wrote:Not really possible (there's some hacky ways, but they'd be bad). If it's visible the client can try and join it. Passwording is the only way to get that behaviour.
They'd still see a bunch of dimmed players though, correct? So they'd know people were playing?

How about if the room displays a count of how many games are currently in progress? If they see 3 games are happening, but only 1 is visible, then they'll know they're wanked out of 2/3rds of the games.

How does it work, their client queries GoS what hosts are offering games, and GoS simply doesn't tell them about a host if they're wanked, so their client can't display it? Could GoS feed a "dummy" game to them in its place that was Closed or passworded with a title of "Host has banned you"?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

jason_ac wrote: How about if the room displays a count of how many games are currently in progress? If they see 3 games are happening, but only 1 is visible, then they'll know they're wanked out of 2/3rds of the games.
It already works like this (and did on MariusNet).
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

punkUser wrote:It already works like this (and did on MariusNet).
LOL, oops, yep. Do you think the wanks are even intelligent enough to notice? (apparently I'm not ;) )
par73

Post by par73 »

a part or module of/on the website distributing activity statistics for the server (and for the forums)
which could be used by players to figure out the most actively populated times to play myth
would be a cool feature
how difficult would it be to implement?
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Nice idea par, I could see that being easy and useful. Maybe at least on the GOS website it could show that.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Yeah I think I addressed that earlier... it's doable with some work. Not trivial, but not hard either. Will add it to the TODO list to expand the metaserver stuff shown on the web site with more stats, etc.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

(punk, I figured I'd reply to your Tain comments here)

So if someone runs a proxy metaserver elsewhere around the globe, is the idea that it has to be a dedicated 24x7 system, or something they just run a few hours at a time (if that's what they want to do)?

And if their metaserver goes down, what does the player see from their perspective? When their hosted game ends...they end up back in the room lobby? And can't start another host? Unless they switch to another [possibly farther away] metaserver? But can still join others' games?

What if they decide they want to fix their router problems so they can host for real, is there some way they tell Myth "don't use metaserver routing"?
switch

Post by switch »

Custom user icons.

Custom user icons.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

how about the ability to change your username instead of having it the same as your login all the time??
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

adrenaline wrote:how about the ability to change your username instead of having it the same as your login all the time??
PunkUser made it that way on purpose. There is always the guest account where you can use any name.
Edulus

Post by Edulus »

Make it so that anybody can host and that there is no need to do port forward contortions.
wwo

Post by wwo »

adrenaline wrote:how about the ability to change your username instead of having it the same as your login all the time??
Aren't you the guy that had like 10 accounts on mnet where changing username was possible?
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

That was different... I was trying to get all the celest ranks. Only managed 6 of them before they got banned :(
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

For tournament rooms have a team Icon/tag in place of where the rank would be in tournament rooms only. Obviously not an urgent feature to add, but it might be something fun to have down the road.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Can't have custom icons unfortunately, only what's in Myth already (i.e. the rank ones).
wwo

Post by wwo »

What about custom name backgrounds like back on bnet ("BUNGIE" diagonally)?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Again, that's hard-coded into the client. I think at some point it was changed to "myth2" or something but IMO it looks fairly lame in practice :S
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ wrote:Bring back clans... wouldn't be that hard would it?
It's not a trivial chunk of work for very little gain. Fairly low on the priority list.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Make it so you can host a game to view a replay on gateofstorms with other people & still be able to chat with the other people watching.

I don't even know if this is possible, but if it were it would be awesome.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Asmodian wrote:Make it so you can host a game to view a replay on gateofstorms with other people & still be able to chat with the other people watching.
Shared watching of replays or at least synchronized watching is a long term feature... it's not easy but it definitely would be cool! Need a few other features in place first for it to build on though.
par73

Post by par73 »

Spectator option in pre-game?

Filter search for users similar to the one for games?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

par73 wrote:Spectator option in pre-game?
On the todo list for the client, just requires a pile of work and will be tough to make it "backwards compatible" with older clients.
par73 wrote: Filter search for users similar to the one for games?
Yeah the users page could use some improvement. Also want to link the user page for a given person from the forum at some point as well.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Post by c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ »

punkUser wrote:
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ wrote:Bring back clans... wouldn't be that hard would it?
It's not a trivial chunk of work for very little gain. Fairly low on the priority list.
I know its purely symbolic, but symbols are often even more important to a community than functions.

C'MON PUNK
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

Would it be possible to access information on unit trades from the game statistics/film download page?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

NewMutator wrote:Would it be possible to access information on unit trades from the game statistics/film download page?
Would be cool, but not easy. The metaserver would have to parse/replay the film to some extent for that to be possible.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

is it possible to add in a stat at the end of games that tracks a players/teams duds or would that be done through project magma?
wwo

Post by wwo »

Someone could write a memory reader if they knew where the engine assigned stuff. Could track just about anything that way in real time.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Asmodian wrote:is it possible to add in a stat at the end of games that tracks a players/teams duds or would that be done through project magma?
Any additional stats that you want represented on the metaserver would require changes to the client (as well). It already reports everything that it gets from the client.
par73

Post by par73 »

anything new in the works?

is players can change their names from their logins on the server ever going to be in the works?
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

Stat tracking on maps/gametypes played?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

NewMutator wrote:Stat tracking on maps/gametypes played?
For players, or just overall? How would you want it filtered (data is already there)?
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

For example, seeing how often a given coop has been beaten and on what difficulty.
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

Or maybe seeing some analytics by player login: percentage of games played on which maps, using which gametypes, etc.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Ok. Yeah I'd like to integrate better stats - that will be easily for me to do once I move stuff off of the current web server onto something directly metaserver-hosted in any case.
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

Awesome! It might prove to be useful too, in the long term.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

You know what else is useful, in the long term? Semen. I mean, if it's stored at the correct temperature. Food for thought, no pun intended.
akira

Post by akira »

stream replays from the games history page
wwo

Post by wwo »

adrenaline wrote:You know what else is useful, in the long term? Semen. I mean, if it's stored at the correct temperature. Food for thought, no pun intended.
This must be one that adren somehow missed deleting.
wonka

Post by wonka »

punkUser wrote:
NewMutator wrote:Stat tracking on maps/gametypes played?
For players, or just overall? How would you want it filtered (data is already there)?
Like the olden days when your login was static, but your Displayed Name was editable. Like your Team Name is currently.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

wonka wrote: Like the olden days when your login was static, but your Displayed Name was editable. Like your Team Name is currently.
Coincidentally, see the latest announcement/poll: http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic ... 51&p=36021
wwo

Post by wwo »

Want: timestamp preceding chat text in lobby