d0ng power 1vs1 tournament (BRACKETS UPDATED)

Asmodian

d0ng power 1vs1 tournament (BRACKETS UPDATED)

Post by Asmodian »

Tirri let me know if you realistically plan on playing and I'll find a spot for you. Lord---Owl, Switch will be fill in's if someone is not getting their matches played.

FYI the tournaments seeding is semi-weighted. I made some changes from what I would individually rate players in 1v1 to create match ups that I believe would be easier for players to schedule (like putting euro vs euro players in the opening round)

RULES
Put d0ng 1v1 in title when hosting a tournament game so that's it's clear between both players that the 1v1 series is for the tournament.
8 min Game Time - 45 second PT
Best of 7 series
Lower seed picks game 1 (after that alternate picks)
On Spider Web and Grave let your opponent up
Fallbacks on Sunday, but the goal is for you and your opponent to schedule a time that works for both of you during the week.
Grab a neutral host if possible

*note* for the BB and Grand final it will best of 7, but win by 2 games. Repicks will be allowed after the 7th game.

Map Picks
Gimble Lmoth/CTF
Gyre Lmoth
Demise Lmoth
Raid (nut) Lmoth
The Untamed Lands CTF
The Badland Lmoth
Cracks in the Cloudspine Lmoth
Clash in the Cloudspine Lmoth
Dead Mans Chest CTF
Dead Mans Float CTF
Killing Grounds Lmoth
Proving Ground Lmoth
Drownded Kingdom Lmoth
Veince Lmoth
Desert Lmoth
Trow Lmoth
Spider Web Lmoth
Grave Lmoth

Players signed up
Adrenaline
Giant Killer General
Asmodian
Captain
Lord-Owl
Slate
Tirri
Rawr
Switch
Professional Killer
Samuel
Lizard King
adrenaline

Re: d0ng power 1vs1 tournament

Post by adrenaline »

I'll play.

Also, add Raid (nut) lmoth.
Asmodian

Re: d0ng power 1vs1 tournament

Post by Asmodian »

Maybe I can get PunkUser to give the winner a Celeste Icon that works in all the gateofstorms rooms like he did for MWC 2013.

Also if there is any other 3rd party maps with regular units that is fair for 1v1 and you want it added to the list let me know and I'll take a look at it.
adrenaline

Re: d0ng power 1vs1 tournament (sign up here)

Post by adrenaline »

Pretty much anything standard from the tfl pack is good for 1v1.... other than RIP which should be played never. And dire marsh, which is pretty gay for 1v1 ith the bow heroes.
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

i assume the lower seed will dictate who picks first?

Also i always preferred the win by 2 rule for every match. nobody wants to see a 4-3 victory, especially if the player on top got to have 1 more pick than the other and most of their wins came from their picks. It's rare to hit that scenario though.

Also can other maps be allowed if both players notify each other and agree to them ahead of time?
dac

Post by dac »

I would assume those listed are auto must-plays if somebody names it, and that anything else would just require both players to agree
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Giant Killer General wrote:i assume the lower seed will dictate who picks first?

Also i always preferred the win by 2 rule for every match. nobody wants to see a 4-3 victory, especially if the player on top got to have 1 more pick than the other and most of their wins came from their picks. It's rare to hit that scenario though.

Also can other maps be allowed if both players notify each other and agree to them ahead of time?
I haven't decided on that.

I'm fine with win by 2, but I don't want that to be an excuse for people to not finish matches saying they didn't have enough time.

Yes, that's fine
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

dac wrote:I would assume those listed are auto must-plays if somebody names it, and that anything else would just require both players to agree
Pretty much. As long as it's regular myth (not wwII,fetch ball etc) and both players agree on it then it should be fine.
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

ill sign up and play, but the looks of it so far are negative for me
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

Giant Killer General wrote:Also i always preferred the win by 2 rule for every match. nobody wants to see a 4-3 victory, especially if the player on top got to have 1 more pick than the other and most of their wins came from their picks. It's rare to hit that scenario though.
Personally I'd find it way more exciting to have a decisive game with the scores at 3-3 where everything is on the line (like MWC matches that go to a 5th game). However you're right that someone having an extra pick would be a slight advantage. Maybe have a map/game picked out for deciding those close games.
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

I see that point, but it is difficult to find a neutral map. usually any single map chosen is going to vastly favor one player over the other. that would be fine option if both players could agree to a single map where winner takes all as the tie breaker. I just prefer having more clear-cut wins in general, and having it go the distance also has its own reward of suspense as well. Whatever both players can agree on though I suppose.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Dantski wrote:
Giant Killer General wrote:Also i always preferred the win by 2 rule for every match. nobody wants to see a 4-3 victory, especially if the player on top got to have 1 more pick than the other and most of their wins came from their picks. It's rare to hit that scenario though.
Personally I'd find it way more exciting to have a decisive game with the scores at 3-3 where everything is on the line (like MWC matches that go to a 5th game). However you're right that someone having an extra pick would be a slight advantage. Maybe have a map/game picked out for deciding those close games.
Probably going to keep it best of 7 until bb finals/finals unless the majority is against it. I'll have to think of something for the first pick.

You should play Dantski. Ideally 16 of the top mythers will sign up.
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

Asmodian wrote:
Dantski wrote:
Probably going to keep it best of 7 until bb finals/finals unless the majority is against it. I'll have to think of something for the first pick.

You should play Dantski. Ideally 16 of the top mythers will sign up.
I didn't 1v1 when I was active or semi actively playing, why would I start now? Unless it was fetchball of course.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Dong's not big enough to play sorry. I'm out.
tirri

Post by tirri »

WENT TO PRACTISE FOR THE DONG, THIS IS AT MY PRIME MYTHING TIME AT 10PM

I SEE ONLY THE ELITE OF THE ELITE IS STILL LEFT PLAYING

LL&L
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Nice, solid assortment of players there. You got DeadlyKitten from The Phex academy and Obelix who has the second most amount of wins in Gate of storms history. Did you get some solid practice in?

That light green legit hurts my eyes.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I really think you should allow ANY map/plugin if BOTH players agree. For instance, me and Zer played ww2 recon elim lmoth in a 1v1 tourney several years ago and it was hilarious.

And at this point in myth, does the order of picks REALLY matter? I mean... we have all played every map 10,000 times. I'd rather see something like they do in CS:GO, where each team gets to veto a few picks... something like:

Team A removes one of the 7 maps
Team B removes one of the 6 remaining maps
Team A removes one of the 5 remaining maps
Team B removes one of the 4 remaining maps
Team A picks the first map to be played
Team B picks the second map to be played
etc.

Of course this would require a set map pool...

This way we can eliminate CRACKS LMOTH because GKG is the only person retarded enough to want to play it.
Professional Killer

Post by Professional Killer »

I want to join in on this.

Hopefully end up having a 13 round game with Adren again lol :)
par73

Post by par73 »

the veto picks would be a great system that has been missing in myth tournaments for all time
shadow

Post by shadow »

adrenaline wrote:...

This way we can eliminate CRACKS LMOTH because GKG is the only person retarded enough to want to play it.
hey idiot
it's my home map/gametype
samuel

Post by samuel »

I usually don't agree with Canadians or people with French last names, but I agree with adrenaline. And I'll play. I'm excited for tirri to cry losing again
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

par73 wrote:the veto picks would be a great system that has been missing in myth tournaments for all time
How would this works exactly? Also are you playing in it?
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

hoping

paris,gekko,ghengis,eastwind and 1 more solid player will fill out the remaining 5 spots so we can get this rolling.
Lord---Scary Owl

gekko won't return till late summer, thats what he told me
par73

Post by par73 »

From a master list of maps, players take turns banning up to 5 maps from being played.

Any maps not selected to be banned are fair to play at any time during a match, while any maps picked would not be able to be used for the entirety of the match.

One may also want to address if selections not banned may be picked more than once, as well as consecutively.

This throws out the "loser picks" format, why should the loser be rewarded anything? First pick could be higher seed, lower seed, more girlfriends, a coin toss. Who cares

This should have been done with mwc years ago but too many idiots wanted to suck traditions imaginary dick and pick favorites

I suppose this is also a way to include ww2 recon or raid lmoth w/ UT in the tournament rather than disregard them, more than half of the tournaments participants are former ww2 or raid players
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

I guess that could be done but the amount of bans per player would have to be a smaller # than 5 because there is only a list of 16 maps atm.

This would be a horrible idea to implement in myth 2 team tournament games. Myth 2 is a real time tactic game, planning before hand lets you do advanced tactics. You can't grab an idea that came from a FPS game and translate it over to a game like myth 2.
par73

Post by par73 »

Perhaps you could increase the map list as well. Maybe you just don't understand though huh smo smo

In 1999, there weren't as many finished 2 team maps as there are now. It made sense to have a simple constructed list of the most polished maps probably authored by one or two "tournament organizers" that might not have any relation to the participants aside from organizing, as you see there were a lot more participants back in 1999 than there were maps.

In 2015 we have plenty of material to choose from and lack the players instead. Everyone knows everyone. You're a douchebag and your picks suck, we know.

More importantly, the concept I provided depth on adds an element of strategy to the match "of tactics". If I know ska plays grave well maybe I will ban it in advance, maybe I will choose not to. It gives a fair playing ground for participants rather than having 6 years of grins summer staged warlock battles

The system would work fine with myth 2 2-team map picks, and it would work fine with a FPS team game as well. This concept would be great if the game was still competitive, I think the real issue isn't the FPS to RTS conversion but the fact that everyone plays this casually save a few.

To make it work, you would need to scale adaptations to the concept rather than put apples into an oranges anus and pretend it's grape jam.

I.e. Live picks may be picked again, even consecutively; increase the number of map selections; you even said it yourself: decrease the number of bans
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

par73 wrote:Perhaps you could increase the map list as well. Maybe you just don't understand though huh smo smo
I fully understand that, but the maps needs to be somewhat balanced for 1v1. I put the maps on the list that I know are at least somewhat balanced. If you want to look through map packs and find more that are balanced be my guest.
par73 wrote:In 2015 we have plenty of material to choose from and lack the players instead. Everyone knows everyone. You're a douchebag and your picks suck, we know.
bizarre comment. You try to act intelligent and then you say something like this, it has the opposite effect.
par73 wrote:More importantly, the concept I provided depth on adds an element of strategy to the match "of tactics". If I know ska plays grave well maybe I will ban it in advance, maybe I will choose not to. It gives a fair playing ground for participants
For 1vs1, sure. I'm open to implementing that idea into this tournament.

For 2t tournament? It isn't going to make a difference. There is so many 2t maps at this point that it would be impossible to ban any teams optimal map choices. Having predetermined maps allows teams to create a strategy that you wouldn't be able to come up with on the spot, allowing people to do advanced tactics if they do it right.
par73 wrote:rather than having 6 years of grins summer staged warlock battles
That's the difference from you and I as a player. You tactically see this game as units vs units with a basic understanding of strategy and tactics.

I see the game 2 steps ahead of the other players (or even more so when I strategize for a competitive MWC match). It isn't "staged warlock battles" It's a well thought out plan that gets executed and usually works.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Basically it would work like this... for example, a 1v1 match between myself and Par...

Map Pool (15 maps... each player gets to ban 4 maps so 7 remain):

gimble lm
gyre lm
venice lm
clash lm
cracks lm
pg lm
kg lm
float ctf
chest ctf
desert lm
trow lm

badlands lm
untamed ctf
raid (nut) lm
demise lm

adren bans cracks lm
paris bans pg lm
adren bans untamed ctf
paris bans raid (nut) lm
adren bans gimble lm
paris bans float ctf
adren bans trow lm
paris bans desert lm

Now we have 7 maps to choose from... we pick in whatever order the rules dictate. If the match goes to 4-3, all maps are played. If not, oh well. No map can be played twice. This is exactly how it is done in CS:GO, though the map pool is generally smaller and the matches are usually BO3 or BO5. I think it could work really well here.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

I'm fine with adding this if there is no major complaints from the majority.
switch

Post by switch »

This tournament is looking epic so far. I like the map lockout system.
[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_4EBkvpw9FI[/youtube]
par73

Post by par73 »

Asmodian wrote:
par73 wrote:Perhaps you could increase the map list as well. Maybe you just don't understand though huh smo smo
I fully understand that, but the maps needs to be somewhat balanced for 1v1. I put the maps on the list that I know are at least somewhat balanced. If you want to look through map packs and find more that are balanced be my guest.
Asmodian wrote:
par73 wrote:In 2015 we have plenty of material to choose from and lack the players instead. Everyone knows everyone. You're a douchebag and your picks suck, we know.
bizarre comment. You try to act intelligent and then you say something like this, it has the opposite effect.
please read "you can't put apples into an oranges anus and pretend it's grape jam". you read a single snippet instead of looking what i've written as whole; you try to act intelligent and then you say something like this, it has the opposite effect.
Asmodian wrote:
par73 wrote:More importantly, the concept I provided depth on adds an element of strategy to the match "of tactics". If I know ska plays grave well maybe I will ban it in advance, maybe I will choose not to. It gives a fair playing ground for participants
For 1vs1, sure. I'm open to implementing that idea into this tournament.

For 2t tournament? It isn't going to make a difference. There is so many 2t maps at this point that it would be impossible to ban any teams optimal map choices. Having predetermined maps allows teams to create a strategy that you wouldn't be able to come up with on the spot, allowing people to do advanced tactics if they do it right.
I guess you missed the first sentence in your 'requested' explanation where I said something along the lines of "You play maps from the master list"
Yes asmo there are many 2team maps at this point, far more than the number of individuals you will ever get for a myth 2 tournament.
Yes asmo, having a master list "allows teams to create a strategy that you wouldn't be able to come up with on the spot, allowing people to do advanced tactics if they do it right.
Asmodian wrote:
That's the difference from you and I as a player. You tactically see this game as units vs units with a basic understanding of strategy and tactics.

I see the game 2 steps ahead of the other players (or even more so when I strategize for a competitive MWC match). It isn't "staged warlock battles" It's a well thought out plan that gets executed and usually works.
just lol i can't even
Lord---Scary Owl

these are too long to read, im just agreeing with paris, his first comment sounded legit enough
grim

Post by grim »

Don't forget that Paris is a giant idiot, though.
Lord---Scary Owl

grim wrote:Don't forget that Paris is a giant idiot, though.
ok ill be wary
grim

Post by grim »

That is good. Never forget that.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

grim hasn't 1v1d since he was an egg. after a long fought battle between him and a giant, white, tadpole shaped creature, he succumbed to his fate and the world hasn't been the same since.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

par73 wrote:I guess you missed the first sentence in your 'requested' explanation where I said something along the lines of "You play maps from the master list"
Yes asmo there are many 2team maps at this point, far more than the number of individuals you will ever get for a myth 2 tournament.
Yes asmo, having a master list "allows teams to create a strategy that you wouldn't be able to come up with on the spot, allowing people to do advanced tactics if they do it right.
So that is no different than the current sudden death that has been being used in MWC finals for years now. This is a casual game, people aren't going to plan for 20+ Maps in the opening week of a tournament. You talk as if you are the fountain of great ideas when it comes to myth 2, but when you hosted MWC we played captures on maps with hilly terrain every week.
Asmodian wrote:

par73 wrote:just lol i can't even
Truth is truth. We have all seen you captain :lol:
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

Lord---Scary Owl wrote:
grim wrote:Don't forget that Paris is a giant idiot, though.
ok ill be wary
good boy

now roll over for a biscuit!
par73

Re: d0ng power 1vs1 tournament (sign up here

Post by par73 »

Lord---Scary Owl wrote:why don't you sign up grim?
No d0ng power, y'see

Asmo repeating what I already said about how this myth is mostly causal ?
Reminds me of the time bagrada called him a parrot

A lot of players haven't had a chance to use the mwc finals sudden death format and a lot of players in Mwc have played over 20 2t meshes before as well, so why not?

Maybe if myth or was casual for you, you wouldn't worry about 20 map picks and strategies in the middle of June on an ancient and devoid online game or even at all.

When I hosted Mwc I chose not to pick the maps but have someone else do it, clearly this would be out of line for you.
your tournament map picks are probably the only thing you have ever had control of in your life

You talk like you are the fountain of ideas about myth two but sadly you are hosting MWC in 2015 and took a joke about grins map picks out of context to compare our relative game awareness ?

:lol: smh
I'm starting to think less players sign up for myth tournaments because you host them and not because they don't find the game interesting enough to be worth their time as a sad man like you
grim

Post by grim »

You're a idiot, Paris.

Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

I just reread your original post. The amounts of typos in it is substantial, which is why I did not understand you were referring to grim when talking about the warlock battles. Communication skills, work on it buddy.
par73 wrote: :lol: smh
I'm starting to think less players sign up for myth tournaments because you host them and not because they don't find the game interesting enough to be worth their time as a sad man like you
There has been less players & teams in every mwc (with a few exceptions), but apparently It's me hosting tournaments that are making less people sign up. Thanks for the perfect example of Paris logic right there anddddd back to posting about the original topic.
grim

Post by grim »

Why delete the "Paris is a idiot" posts, though?