RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Forums for the MFC 2013 1v1 tournament.
Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Giant Killer General » 21 Jun 2013, 14:13

Here is a list of matches I need to see to help my rankings. They are either missing links that would be useful in refining the rankings, or matches involved in breaking 3-way (or above) ties.

1) PK vs Gekko
2) Asmo vs Headhunter
3) Asmo vs Gekko
4) Paris vs Sam
5) Kirk vs Paris rematch

Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO REFINE RANKINGS / BREAK TIES

Postby Giant Killer General » 21 Jun 2013, 14:13

okay so we now officially have our first 3 way tie, and it is a deep and complicated one, unfortunately.

After considering the matches, I have no choice but to give Asmo a ranking over paris. He beat paris fair and square in THREE matches, 3-0 (matches), and 2 of them were quick 3-1 matches. Asmo is now ranked a WHOPPING 4th place, from his previous rank of like 15th. This is the most meteoric rise in rankings I think we will ever see.

This presents problems though because I don't like 3 way ties, it could be an ugly situation with people bitching. So there is a lot of ways this could go down, and it may in-fact never get broken. However this is the easiest way I foresee it getting broken:

1) Asmo, you need to replay HH, preferably at least twice, and get at least a tied, but preferably a winning match record against him.
2) Asmo needs to do the same thing against Gekko.
3) Sam needs to replay paris and beat him. (or Asmo beat Sam, but I find that unlikely.)

adrenaline
Posts: 1660
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:38
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby adrenaline » 21 Jun 2013, 14:17

EW needs to get healthy and play some matches, too. He SHOULD be in the top division, under normal circumstances, I'd think.

adrenaline
Posts: 1660
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:38
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby adrenaline » 21 Jun 2013, 14:19

Also, Asmo should play PK.

Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Giant Killer General » 21 Jun 2013, 14:22

well yea anyone that hasn't played the minimum 5 matches needs to play more obviously. That is just a given, goes without saying.

Asmo probably needs to play a bunch of other good players at this point to really solidify his ranking. it is really skewing things, I am not sure if he really belongs there. But his 3 consecutive match victories over paris is undeniable, so I have to give it to him. It is up to everyone else to make him further prove his spot. I guess Paris kind of needs to further prove his spot as well.

Ideally in a perfect world for rankings, everyone would play everyone else, but we probably aren't going to get that, so we need to make due. It is preferable though for players to play other players closer to them in rank. Me playing zagon or something doesn't help the rankings any. Actually try to avoid that now everyone, because those are really just spammy matches anyway. You can inflate your game record, dmg ratio, etc. with those matches. But realize that stats in the QR are going to be a whole lot less meaningful than in the divisional rounds where it is going to be weighted. And those do not help anyone's ranking.

punkUser
Posts: 1386
Joined: 16 Nov 2012, 23:13
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby punkUser » 21 Jun 2013, 20:18

Giant Killer General wrote:Actually try to avoid that now everyone, because those are really just spammy matches anyway

Yeah after you get your 5 matches done at least, seems sensible to avoid ones with obvious outcomes. That said, sometimes it's fun just to see if you can take a game or two off of someone much better, but arguably those don't need to be reported.

Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Giant Killer General » 21 Jun 2013, 20:27

I guess play whoever you want, but try to play people near you in rank if you haven't already played them. I guess that is what I am really saying. I don't mind playing anyone, I will try to play everyone actually at least once.

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby par73 » 22 Jun 2013, 04:46

Giant Killer General wrote:Here is a list of matches I need to see to help my rankings. They are either missing links that would be useful in refining the rankings, or matches involved in breaking 3-way (or above) ties.

1) PK vs Gekko
2) Asmo vs Headhunter
3) Asmo vs Gekko
4) Paris vs Sam
5) Kirk vs Paris rematch



Why don't you have Kirk vs GKG?
Where is Paris vs Gekko
Adren vs GKG
East Wind vs Anyone
Tirri vs Anyone
etc

Also how does a Kirk vs Paris rematch influence anything, clearly I am rightfully 2nd place as I beat KROK 3-0

Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Giant Killer General » 22 Jun 2013, 15:14

Kirk played like shit when he played you, he played much better against adren and 3-0d him. You obviously should rematch. Really paris, your match results are the only thing screwing with the rankings so far, you need to play some more people and do some rematches for sure.

Yes those are all good matches as well, and some people just need to play more matches, calm down.

You are most definitely not rightfully 2nd place, you lost to asmo 3 times in a row.

Again, all you have to do is do some rematches to solidify your ranking. Earn it.

Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Giant Killer General » 23 Jun 2013, 02:24

Everyone please note, that another big factor I will be using now to address 3 way ties and such now, is giving more weight towards the more recent matches. This helps a lot actually to get around the situation now with all the different outcomes from a lot of paris' matches.

This prevents people from sitting on an artificial / temporary high rank, giving advantage to those that play more.

Also, you cannot be raised in rank indirectly through other's victories. By indirectly I mean, because you beat that player, and now that player is beating everyone else, you don't get rank from that. You have to play your own matches directly.

The point of this is that you have to play matches to solidify your ranking. The rank earned from any outlying victories you have (a win over a single player much higher ranked than you) is going to get washed out by all of your other match results unless you can beat others equally as high ranked to solidify it.

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby par73 » 23 Jun 2013, 16:04

Giant Killer General wrote:Kirk played like shit when he played you, he played much better against adren and 3-0d him. You obviously should rematch. Really paris, your match results are the only thing screwing with the rankings so far, you need to play some more people and do some rematches for sure.

Yes those are all good matches as well, and some people just need to play more matches, calm down.

You are most definitely not rightfully 2nd place, you lost to asmo 3 times in a row.

Again, all you have to do is do some rematches to solidify your ranking. Earn it.



who cares if i have lost to asmo 3 times in a row. i have played more matches than anyone, of course you're going to lose some matches especially once you get tired!

to say I didn't play like shit against asmo, and played much better against kirk and 3-0'd him would be the truth, would it not?

Kirk lost two matches and won 1, but he gets to 'rightfully be 2nd place' lol ok...

1-2 > 16-9 rgr obvious troll ploy ranking system in effect

I am also the only player besides Sam who actually won more than one game, etc against you, the #1 seeded player. Somehow though that does not justify me for the #2 ranking, despite having beaten the #2 ranked player.

I'm just wondering a) why you're suggesting I rematch two players (i already beat once) to 'help rankings" and b) how 'rematching' these players will actually improve my ranking.

Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Giant Killer General » 23 Jun 2013, 17:29

read my recent rule changes. I hate to make rule changes but I am refining it as best I can, and as soon as I can, as we go. It is for the best interest of the tournament, and I made them early enough where there is still a week left.

It basically says that more recent matches are now going to be given more weight to break 3 ways ties such as this. Since you beat kirk a while ago, and same with asmo beating you, they don't count as much as say, kirk beating adren. This encourages people to play more matches and not sit on their rank.

It also says that you must beat players higher rank than you to move up in rank, and beat players near your rank, but below you, to solidify your rank. Right now Kirk's rank is not solid at all, and I posted about that already, yes.

The only player you have beaten that is ranked higher than you right now is Sam, and that was a close match. I suggest you play him again.

You have a week left.

You seem to be bitching more about kirk's rank than your own.

Gamer took 1 game off of me as well in each of our 2 matches, so you are forgetting about that. It doesn't matter though, winning games over me is completely irrelevant for rankings, it would only come into play if there was a match tie somewhere involving me, which there is not.

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby par73 » 23 Jun 2013, 17:57

Giant Killer General wrote:The only player you have beaten that is ranked higher than you right now is Sam, and that was a close match. I suggest you play him again.



ok once again my record is 20-18 against players ranked above me, that is the best record against players ranked above another player in at least the top 7 if not top 10. people are afraid to play each other and everything conditional has to be 'perfect' or some shit because there are plenty of good matches being avoided on a daily basis.
i have more wins than any other player.
again not even you have a better record than me against players ranked above you because there are no players ranked above you. and I lost to you, 2-4; yes that is pushing OT. You are also the #1 player, this should have an effect on rankings.
beat krok 3-0, a player that i have beaten that is ranked higher than me that you are simply overlooking...

you also have asmo vs captain in my rankings, so i assume you counted that as 4-1 loss because that is my record against them? is that how this tournament goes?

i am actually 8-11 against people who are on the top 10 that are ranked lower than me.

this scoring system in regards to my case is completely out of wack.
it is clear I should be ranked the #2 overall player at this moment.

Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Giant Killer General » 23 Jun 2013, 18:24

Oh I thought you were trolling about the #2 thing. Now I see that you are serious.

Again, game records DO NOT MATTER, so stop talking in terms of game records trying to support your argument. I was playing like shit when I played you, but I knew I could win which is why I still played it. If game records mattered, I probably would be a lot more cautious about when I want to play a match when I am not tired or whatever. This is why I don't count them because I don't want people to be overly cautious like that. Also, it is easy to take games off of just about anyone, everyone gets lazy 1 game or whatever quite frequently. It is much more difficult to actually win a match.

Alright so let's pretend that Kirk's rank doesn't exist for now since he hasn't even qualified yet for the division rounds, and I don't know what I am going to do with him yet if he doesn't play some other competitive matches (he may get bumped down to be top spot in the division below). That is probably another small rule change I would have made to accommodate that situation, but whatever, it doesn't matter that much.

Now, the people above you are myself, Adren, EW, Sam, and Ghengis. Myself, Adren, and ghengis, all have undefeated match records against you (Ghengis and Adren are 2-0 over you even). EW hasn't played you yet. And you have 1 close match win over Sam (when you were both high). So best case scenario for you is that you would be ranked 4th. You should be arguing for 4th rank. The fact that you are arguing for 2nd rank makes me take you much less seriously.

Now, the reason you are ranked 7th and not 4th is because those other 3 players above you have a match win over someone higher ranked than you.

Sam beat Ghengis
EW beat Sam
Kirk beat Adrenaline

Your only case for argument now is that you beat Kirk or Sam, but these are both the oldest match of all of these, and the only ones that were played in week 1 of the QR. Therefore with the current rules, the oldest matchest gets the least amount of weight here.

All you have to do is beat Sam, EW, or Kirk 1 time and you would take their rank. Or you can beat Ghengis, Adren, or I 2 times.

Also, the "Asmo vs Captain" match stuck in your match record was just a copy and paste error, it didn't get counted for anything.

punkUser
Posts: 1386
Joined: 16 Nov 2012, 23:13
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby punkUser » 23 Jun 2013, 19:36

Giant Killer General wrote:Also, it is easy to take games off of just about anyone, everyone gets lazy 1 game or whatever quite frequently. It is much more difficult to actually win a match.

Word. Case in point I beat tirri in one game :O

Asmodian
Posts: 1495
Joined: 22 Feb 2013, 07:28
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Asmodian » 24 Jun 2013, 07:29

I agree with Paris that Kirk should not be #2, I don't agree that Paris should be #2 (that should be Adren).

Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Giant Killer General » 24 Jun 2013, 14:07

I never said I disagreed. I only said that my current rankings right now should be used for pick order for the QR. you all still fail to recognize that distinction.

in any case, since kirk still hasn't played, and I am not sure if he will, I dropped him lower, so you can all stop bitching about your precious pick order.

Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Giant Killer General » 28 Jun 2013, 05:21

I just did a major update to the rankings. I recommend everyone starts playing people next to them in rank before the end of the week.

rawr
Posts: 252
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 19:57
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby rawr » 28 Jun 2013, 13:54

Gkg, simply face someone higher ranked than you, win , to move up in rank ?

Giant Killer General
Posts: 1625
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 13:46
Contact:

Re: RECOMMENDED MATCHES TO HELP RANKINGS

Postby Giant Killer General » 28 Jun 2013, 16:07

yes, i would also recommend playing anyone near you in rank, even if they are a bit lower because those wins help prevent you from being bumped down in rank too.


Return to “Myth Fighting Championship 2013”